View Single Post
Old 02-11-2007, 07:29 AM
jbwilli
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have same problem on 1998 EXP XLTdrivers door. I found a small extension spring, about 1 1/2 inches long sitting in the door latch assy. One end had a hook in it, and the other end had the hook broken off. Obviously, this little spring helps postion one of the pieces in the latch assy when the door is closed, and it helps in the unlocking motion, whether by key, power actuator and inside handle. Without this spring in place, you can just barely get enough force to unlock the door. Lubricating the assy helped, but it appears that little spring must be in place to eliminate the sticking unloc process. I tried to remove the latch assy last weekend, but gave up as I could not figure out how to get all those rods disconnected. I have seen a lot of posts stating to remove the door lock cyclinder and the power lock actuator, but I only need to removed the latch assy. Anyone out there know if you can remove the latch assy only, and leave the door lock cylnder an power door actuator installed. I don't want to drill out the rivet I am told holds the power lock assy in place. I had the latch assy completly loose inside the door, but could not see how to get the rods off. I have since read you need to remove the lower glass channel. This will give me a lot more access and visability. I will try it again this wekend. Note: a new latch assy at local Ford Dealer quoted me $54 for replacment. I really want to replace the unit myself, as Ford Dealer I am sure will have to charge $200-$300 or more. Note: I got a lot of good free info from Ed at Millenium Ford in Seattle Wash.