Old 02-04-2007, 10:56 AM
dwoodler
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know about the Ford Racing products...

But back in October I was pulling my trailer when my Bronco started dying and then coming right back on (like something was shutting off the spark and then turning it back on 3 seconds later). It caused the engine to go from full torque RPM to coast and back - hammering pretty hard when it did it. We'd been on the road for 5 1/2 hours at this point. Then after about 5 minutes of this it died all together and wouldn't restart. After sitting for an hour it started right up like nothing was wrong. About 20 mins later it repeated the same tactics and we were sitting on the side of the road again. Fortunately my car hauler trailer was empty and when my uncle showed up with his Dodge diesel we loaded the Bronc right into the trailer.

After a weekend of screwing around with it at my mothers house (500 miles from my garage), I finally took it to a shop where the mechanic diagnosed the problem as being the Ignition Module - the rectangular piece the bolts onto the side of the distributor. $100+ for the part plus a couple hundred for the mechanic. And I had a complete good distributor on my spare engine at home!

A side note on this is that the mechanic told me with these units that the diagnostic tester at the parts stores would indicate a fault because the module tends to fail when at operating temperature - not when cold.

Hope this helps.

Woodler