Thread: Bio Question
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2007, 12:23 PM
Murphy2000
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Magnesol is nothing more than talcum powder with a more course grain size.

For those folks who think its "Better" than water, you don't know what you are talking about, OR, you're using the new technique as a sales gimmick for some reason.

Yes, the water-less wash using talcum powder works. It does not work any better than regular water does as the final product is concerned.

The bottom line is "Does the fuel meet or exceed the ASTM standard".

Both techniques have drawbacks and the technique that is used should be dependant upon your location and or circumstance.

For those people short on water supply and or who lack the ability to dispose of the wash water, magnesol (talcum powder) is a viable alternative.

For those people with lots of water and no problems disposing of it, using talcum powder is a waste of time and money. (and filters)

Please do not attempt to turn biodiesel into some magical processes that says "Do it my way or your fuel is crap".. There are many ways to make high quality biodiesel. There are many techniques that have been developed and have been proved to work through ASTM testing.

The technique you should use to make your biodiesel should depend on your circumstances. To employ one technique over another based on what someone else is doing in a different location, is just plan ignorant.

When I make furnace fuel, I don't even bother to wash my fuel.. Why should I? Then again when I put fuel into a 2006 DuraMax, I make sure that fuel will meet the ASTM spec.

Most people who make biodiesel barely know what they are doing. I've seen setups with 500 and 1000 gallon tanks turning out lots and lots of fuel. The guy running it was using 7.8g/liter of KOH for a base. What a JOKE!

Anyhow, like I said, your process should depend on your circumstances.. not what product one peddler is pushing over another.

And if you're interested, there is a new"er" way to remove soap and meth from the biodiesel without using water or talc.