View Single Post
Old 01-23-2007, 10:03 PM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If we forget to look at the piston slap issue, lets look at what GM has done with their LS-1 series motors. More horsepower, better mileage. All with a pushrod motor with larger cylinder bores than the modular. Cam placement has nothing to do with power band. Cam timing, acceleration, and lift make the difference. It could be a pushrod motor, DOHC motor, or have little electric solenoids; it wouldn't make any difference. Where OHC motors have an advantage is high rpm's where you want to limit valvetrain mass so you dont break stuff. If GM wanted the low end torque thing, the could have it with a simple cam change.

"Displacement limited by it's modular V8s narrow boer spacing..."

I've been saying this for years! The bore size is too small. The formula for performance motors is large bore small stroke. A truck motor works good with about square dimensions, assuming enough displacement. IMHO 3.55" X 4.16" is just rediculous. Before anyone reminds me of the GT's motor, let me say I could re-cam a dump truck motor and strap a blower on it and make lots of horsepower. It does not make it the optimal solution.

I still think the ideal motor was discontinued 31 years ago.

Sorry for the rant. These are only my opinions and please take them as such.