View Single Post
Old 01-19-2007, 05:50 AM
wiredcur
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all,

To say the least, this thread and this board has been extremely helpful. I've got an '02 4.2L V6 F150 Extended Cab. The "Service Engine Soon" light came on about 2 weeks before Xmas but everything sounded fine. After finding this forum and reading some of the threads, I ponied up and bought an OBD-II code reader (Harbor Freight had them on sale for $40 last weekend).

I'm posting in this thread because I got the same P0174 code. I attempted the first suggestion (and the easiest) and cleaned the MAF. Cleared the code and everything was fine until the light came back on yesterday.

Couple of questions... If it were a vacuum leak, am I right in assuming that it would be somewhere between the air filter and the throttle body? Regarding Wilber15's instruction to "watch your O2 sensor PIDs"? That requires a bit more than just a $40 OBD-II reader, right?

I'm sure these are noob questions. I typically don't work on cars or trucks but since I do do my own maintenace on my motorcycle, I figured I'd give this a shot. Thanks!