View Single Post
Old 01-07-2007, 07:49 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CheaperJeeper
It may be kind of a pain to convert the truck, but its a one-time effort instead of the on-going additional effort required to make bio. And there's next to nothing in terms of wastes to dispose of.
If you are going to run WVO be sure youy do it right dont cheap out on the truck conversion. Also remember it will limit your market when it comes time to sell.
Phydeaux88, you sure that is true of all states? Seems like I saw a post on eBay or Craigs List for a local guy selling bio for around $100 a 55 gallon drum. Maybe wrong, but I was sure I saw it somewhere
Yes I am sure. see below
Originally Posted by fabmandelux
I design these plants, and once you attempt to sell biodiesel you have major hurdles to consider. You MUST register with the NBB [at $2,500 + $.01 / gal/year]. You'll also have to register your product with the EPA.

Then building the plant....................You'll have to comply with 2007 building, plumbing, electrical codes. Then you'll have to apply for state AND federal waste-water AND air pollution permits. Ready to sell bio right? Wrong! Now you have to supply proper testing documentation FOR EACH BATCH! and the tests cost $1,200 EACH !!!!! FABMANDELUX.
Maybe one of you guys can answer one of my burning questions. I've read that WVO won't mix with diesel. Will it mix with the anti-gel addatives like Diesel Kleen or Howes? Will it keep WVO from gelling? I've read about people around here using WMO to thin WVO so it can be run unheated. Not interested in WMO, but I'm wondering what else, if anything, could be mixed with WVO to reduce the gelling and maybe reduce the need to heat it so much.....
You are asking for trouble if you depend on mixing solvents of any kind with WVO to keep it from gelling. There are those that will tell you it will work and cite a few other people that are "doing fine" by mixing any of a number of petroleum products with WVO. WVO will mix with petroleum products better than it will mix with water, thats about all you can be sure of, but they will eventually seperate.
The question you have to ask yourself is "AM I WILLING TO BET MY ENGINE TO SAVE A FEW BUCKS ?"
Like I said earlier Dont cheap out on the truck conversion. It could cost you $$$$

Last edited by Phydeaux88; 01-07-2007 at 07:51 PM.