View Single Post
Old 01-05-2007, 02:06 PM
Silver Streak
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here I am a day late and dollar short as usual, but I'll chime in as well. Pretty much everything has been said that needs to be, but not all of us are actively looking for another truck club, or even a first. I've been to one gtg (and maybe another one, but it was an accident) and had a blast. When I went, I promised myself, and more importantly my wife, that I was not going to get heavily into another car club. All we did for about 3 years was car and truck stuff. To tell you how deep it was, there would not be a Tulsa Firebird and Camaro Club or a Lightning Owners of Oklahoma if it weren't for us. TFCC was here before we were, but we kept it going through some very hard times before it took off and sustained itself. LOOK became such a burden that we only meet one time a year now, and the turnout for that has nosedived. All that activity really burned us out. I have tried to make a few gtgs, but the logistics have not worked out for any of them. Sometimes it's several weeks at a time between my visits to this forum and I just miss the announcement. Often when I make those visits the newest post is days or even weeks old. When a forum is stagnant it tends to stay that way until something drastic happens. That could be lots of new members, a new activity, a tragedy, etc. This seems to be the pattern at every forum I have frequented. It wouldn't surprise me if in the near future someone steps up to go the extra mile that puts this club over the top. Even though I don't come here often, the names I see when I do drop in are almost always the same. It's great that there are 4 or 5 diehards that post here, but there need to be 30-40 people that POST daily for the forum to look busy. Once the forum looks busy, other people will take an interest because it looks like a good place to be. Until that happens, the internet part of this club will continue to languish. The good news is that there is more to this club than this site. Car and truck clubs existed before the internet, and most were in better shape before the web took over. Online chat can't take the place of regular chapter meetings, but almost all clubs are trying to force that to happen. It won't. There is no replacement for face to face time. The single best thing the club could do is pick a regular meeting time every month and stick to it. Another option is to meet at the car show at 71st and Mingo every Tuesday night during the summer. We used to do that every week with SVTOA and had a blast. My new command does not allow me to do that anymore, but I miss going to those shows. The club needs something to call regular and that something needs to be something you can hang your hat on, not an internet abstraction. I wish all the best for this club and nothing I've said is directed to anyone person, their actions, or lack of action. I just call 'em like I see 'em, and I see this as part of a cycle that won't stop without significant action.

I'll come to gtgs when I can, but that probably won't be very often because I'm busy like everyone else.