View Single Post
Old 12-26-2006, 07:29 AM
glfredrick
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by markwolfe07
Checked the fuse, replaced the motor, switch, and control module. Still nothing! The light on the control module comes on steady for about 1 minute after pushing white re-set then goes out. Guess I might have a broken wire as I'm getting no sound or indications that anything is trying to work. It's a '91 with only 192,000 miles. They just don't make anything to last nowadays do they? I've got a more hours than the law should allow trying to fix it & I'm almost ready to go to a pro (for the truck)! Wife's OK!!!
Turn it into a manual shift case.

Two ways to do that - both involve ditching the motor.

First, you just stick a pair of needle-nose vise grips over the triangular stud and turn it by hand.

Second, you contrive a more well-engineered part that allows you to turn that shaft from inside the cab. I've done it both ways.

It shifts easy, stays shifted, and you can build something for under $30 to make it a manual that shifts every time.

My current attempt is to use 1/4" socket stuff. I've cut the motor part of the shifter mechanism away from the part that engages the shifting stud, then I will weld a socket over the stub that makes the t-case mechanism turn. From there out, I will just build a linkage into the cab using common 1/4" socket accessories, extensions, universals, and perhaps one of those flexy extensions.

I've done two other varieties, both using some sort of cable to drive the mechanism, and I've had some problems with both, though they did shift the t-case. The biggest problem is that the cables tend to unwind when twisted opposite of their intended power transmission direction, which causes bind. I tried driving the electric motor armature, which worked fine, but took a lot of turns to accomplish my task. I wanted something that just twisted in with a positive feel, like when I did it manually under the truck, so I'm working on the solid link.