View Single Post
Old 12-19-2006, 06:03 PM
soundwave
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure if what Im about to post applys, but here goes.....

For thoes of you trying to decide between a tech school and a regular college the recomendation that was given to me that I agree with is to go to a regular college. Let me explain........

All through high school I KNEW I wanted to work in radio and radio/commercial production. There was no other career choice for me. One day my junior year of high school during my "occupational oppertunitys" class, we all had the option of picking a career choice, and our teacher would set us up to take a whole day off from school to sit in with a host who worked in the field we were intrested in.

I sat in with "Screamin' Scott Randal at the old Z-ROCK here in Detroit(Screamin' Scott last I heard works overnights now for the RIFF a.k.a. WRIF here in The Motor City) I got the advice from him, and another DJ (whose name I cant remember sorry) that a regular college that offers classes in the field you are interested in is a better choice then a tech or specialty school.

The reason is if that career turns out to be something that doesnt pan out for you, at least you have other classes under your belt to work towards something else. My options were to go to a local school of broadcasting, or go to a local college that offered telecommunications classes. I went to the local college and majored in telecomm. and minored in buisness management.

I got a job in Toledo, Oh.( a hour drive away), working at 2 diffrenent radio stations hosting shows and doing commercial production for various stations owned by the company. I LOVED IT!!!!! I was very happy but the pay was bad, and the benifits worse. After over 4 years of faithful service and good ratings(I was #2 in the city a few times and never fell out of the top 5 ), I was replaced by a computer during a massive downsizing of not only the company, but the bussniess in general. I got job offers in Houston,TX., Mobile AL., and Greensboro N.C., just to name a few. I didnt take any of these jobs because I have a desire to work near home, and I own a home and dont want to sell!

So I fell back on my buisness management experience and thats what I now do to pay the bills, Im a assistant manager in a job I dont care for. However, it pays the mortgage and other bills, is secure and is close to home.

The point is had I not went to a college I may have a lot of options cut off, and really been up the creek and jobless or stuck with a job that wouldnt cut it when it came to bills.

I hope this helps some of you, and I really hope I didnt come off as pompus.

BTW, the station I had the job offer from in Mobile AL., was destroyed during Katrina. Glad I didnt take it