Thread: Filtering bio
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2006, 08:56 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mongo75
How do you guys filter your WVO? I've seen the 100 and 200 micron filters that fit on 5 gal buckets. Since I don't plan on making a lot, will these work, or is there a better way? Also, I'm looking for the right filter to use from my reactor drum to the holding drum, and should there be another filter from the holding drum to the fuel tank?

Since I use an "open" style processor I use an expanded metal basket to filter out the "large" pieces before the oil goes into the "heater-precleaner" then a 1/16" punch plate screen between the Heater-precleaner and the mix tank. I filter out the soap after methanol recovery with a 5 micron bag filter [McMaster-Car # 5162K12], and use the same filter to remove the Magnesol. Final filtering is done with a 1 micron absolute bag filter [ McMaster-Car # 5162K71].

The first 2 filterings are done with an "open" filter. The final filtering is done in a closed housing [MacMaster-Car 5168K177].

All the filter bags are dumped out, and then washed in the wife's washing machine.