Thread: KOH Supplier?
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2006, 03:24 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by plowboy2155
I have been researching Biodiesel for a while now. I have read many of the comments on this forum as well as other sites. I am ready to attempt my first test batch of biodiesel. I would like to make several 1 quart test batches. I have 3 gallons of used peanut oil and I have located some small sources of methanol, suitable for a test batch. My problem right now is finding a suitable source of KOH for a test batch. I haven't tried calling any chemical supply places yet because right now I am only interested in very small quantities just to use for a test. Does anyone know of a good place (on the internet or otherwise) that has small quantities of KOH suitable for BD? I realize I may have to pay a premium for such a small quantity but I can't justify buying a large quantity right now. I live in central Kentucky, if that helps any.
Not a problem..............If all you want to do is some test batches, just use NaOH. Koh is much better for processing, but NaOH will work just fine for small tests and is availible from your local hardware store [ red devil lye].

FABMANDELUX.