View Single Post
Old 11-21-2006, 12:47 AM
jimbo beam
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sam_Fear
If anyone does check out my '87 pics, pay special attention to the highlights of white trash engineering I've done on 'er. My favorites are the busted ignition fix, the galvanized water pipe in the exhaust system (long story), and the abundant use of expandable foam. The paint jobs another long story...
on my 82 i utalized a piece of stainless fence post for most of the exaust system. remove down pipe and bend edges slighty, place inline under the fence post and bash on driveway untill the fence post slids inside the downpipe, flip mess over and place glasspack on other end of fence post again bash end on driveway untill glasspack slides over fence post, guess what tight fit means no claps.

bolt to manifold, support new exhaust system with jackstand and tightly bind the pipe to the frame with bailing wire.

total cost: fence post laying behind gradge, free. glasspack 19.99, roll of bailing wire 2.50.

in a couple of pictures you can see the wire ties holding the headlight trim and grill on the truck.

under the hood due to completely fried piston rings and the blowby that goes with them [230,000 miles and zero matinace from p.o. will do that] i redneck engineer'd a system of pcv hose that comes off the dipstick tube meets at a brass "T" one end goes in to to the valvecover gromet. out of the other valve cover gromet anouther hose runs over to the carb were it meets the other vavle cover hose they both "T" into the carb.

oil that spewd out of the dipstick tube runs through the hose and back into the top end of the motor, and the white smog that poured out of the breather runs through a hose and its burnt in the carb. fresh air is drawn through on of the holes in the valve cover gasket where oil pour down the side of the motor. since i couldnt check the oil if it started it and the lifters were ticking id shut it off and add 2 quarts of oil, she'd be fine for a few more days.

truck ran like that almost everyday for about 5 years, and 95,000 miles untill it spun a rod bearing.