View Single Post
Old 11-05-2006, 11:58 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
matt,

After reading your initial post the other day, and then researching the motor design characteristics and thinking about it i have a couple of thoughts to add to your invetigation.

First, lower oil pressure/slower flow in the right side of the motor because the oil galley's on the left and right side are the same size, But, the right side oil galley is responsible for oiling the Cam Bearings, Main Bearings and Connecting Rods, while the left side is not. Thus less flow and more resistance in the right side of the motor thereby increasing the temperature on that side do to inadequate oil flow and increased resistance to oil flow causing increased temperatures in the oil.

Second, the EGR cooler is on the top right hand side of the motor, which should in theory increase the head temperature and top of motor temperature above the left hand side.

Also if the intake air temperature is higher on the right side of the engine, possibly do the the EGT cooler being on this side, that would result in higher cylinder temperatures on this side of the motor.

You may want to install a pyrometer that measures the EGT at each cylinder or head temperature (EGT would be easier) just like the ones installed on all Piston engine aircraft. I know on all the piston engine aircraft i have been around with the pyrometer for each cylinder there is always 2 or 3 cylinders that run hotter than the others and the fuel mix levers are tuned to keep the hottest cylinders within the safe operating temperature range.

Westach makes a quad EGT gauge that i know of and there is also a digital EGT guage available for 4 or 6 cylinders, by Aerospace Logic Inc

www.westach.com
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...pace_logic.php
http://www.aerospacelogic.com/site/d...sp?pageid=HOME

Hope this helps

Last edited by blackhat620; 11-06-2006 at 12:12 AM.