View Single Post
Old 10-24-2006, 11:27 PM
Rocketattack
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GPs for my truck

Hey Guys, This is my first Diesel. I am having problems starting my truck since the temp cooled off. My truck is a '94 F350 7.3 IDI Turbo with 80,000 miles. The original owner had turned up the IP and everything else is stock. My prob is it's getting crappy gas mileage, is hard starting in the cold weather and smells of Diesel. I have taken it to Broadway Ford and had them look at it. They said atleast three injectors are leaking and possibly a few glow plugs are out. They quoted me a price of $17 a piece for the plugs and 17 cents each for the injector o-rings. What plugs should I get? The mechanic mentioned to me that if I hear a very fast clicking after the 'Wait To Start' light goes out that it is caused by nonfunctioning glow plugs and that the faster it clicks the more glow plugs aren't working. Is that true? The truck does do the fast clicking. I also have been plugging it in at night for the past week. It seems to start just fine when I do this but it hasn't gotten cold enough to warrant plugging a Diesel in yet has it? Are you guys with Diesels plugging yours in already?

Also I have taken the top of the air box and inspected it and the Turbo intake opening. It is covered with oil. This oil seems to be coming from the black hose that is connected to a canister on the driver side valve cover. The mechanic from Broadway Ford said that this is normal. Should I believe him? And the leading edges of the Turbos fins are very rough and one fin as a very small ding in it. When I step down on the throttle I don't hear anything from the Turbo nor do I hear any hiss from the waste gate. Shouldn't I hear a hiss when I romp down on it and let go of it right away?