View Single Post
Old 10-20-2006, 11:32 AM
PSKSAM2
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front License Plate

Does anyone know the actual law for a front license plate in NJ? I had a fender bender with my Mustang a while back, and when the body shop fixed up the front bumper, I didn't have the heart to drill into it to put the banged up plate back on. It's been sitting on the dash visible in the windshield, where it got me out of a minor speeding ticket ("Improper display of plates" instead, no points, I'll take that any day, and I paid it without any arguement). I was putting off the inspection until I figured out a way to stick it on the front less destructively (hidden bracket, double stick tape, etc). I finally broke down and went to inspection figuring I'd get the "Rejected" sticker but I'd have a month to get off my butt and fix it. They passed it, so I guess it isn't a part of the inspection? What can an officer ticket you for?

Originally Posted by NJ Driver Manual, 2006 pg. 76
For passenger vehicles, attach one plate to the front bumper and one to the rear of the vehicle, at least 12 inches from the ground, but no more than 48 inches. The rear plate should be lit at night and be visible from 50 feet. Using license plate holders that obscure any lettering on the license plate is a violation that could result in a fine of up to $200."
Technically, my plate is not attached to the front bumper, but it is between 12" and 48" from the ground.

-Jim