View Single Post
Old 09-05-2006, 10:40 PM
restoringmy46
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
53 Ford Flathead Question?

I'm building a 1948 F1 truck. The flathead in it know is no good. I "Finally" came across a good flathead motor. best I can tell it is a 1953 truck flatead. One thing that has me puzzled is the water pumps on each motor. On my 48 the water pump is part of the motor mount. This motor I have now it has a plate that bolts to the front of the block and comes down under the crank shaft pulley with a single hole in it. I guess this is the motor mount of this motor or what ever it came out of. And the water pumps are different to. The one's on my new motor the sides are at a angle. My question is can I change out the water pumps so I can mount the motor like it is suppose to be mounted in my 48 F1. Everthing eles looks the same on them. I can give you all some numbers off of it tomorrow if this would help. The motor in my truck know says ford on the head and 8BA. The numbers on the heads on the new motor start with ECM and then a long number. Plus the oil pan is different to. My old motor as a big looking oil plug in the middle of the oil pan and is fairly straight. The new motor has the oil plug or bolt in the back of the oil pan but it is on the bottom of the oil pan and it has 3 off sets in it to. Can anyone let me know if I can change the water pumps out and use this motor in my 48 F1. "ANY" Advice at all would be a big help to me. I'm pretty new when it comes to flathead motor's. Thanks Scott