View Single Post
Old 09-05-2006, 11:17 AM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll let you guys in on something. Ever since it was brand new (know original owners) this thing NEVER got much more than 16mpg. It's also always ran like a top on gasoline. I do keep up the maintenance and fix any problems. Trust me, it was in *perfect* condition before the test started. Probably still is, just needs more fuel in open loop operation. Since 99% of my driving is closed loop, it's not a real big problem. I even checked a couple spark plugs! No signs there of a lean condition.

The way it runs, it's not so much a flat spot, as simply reduced power during open loop. Open loop, remember, the O2 sensor doesn't compensate like it does in closed loop. It's just real noticable when it switches from closed loop to open loop is all.

A while back, I found that some injectors were leaking down. I replaced them with Accel's recommended replacements which they rate at 21lbs/hr. I would assume the difference between this and Ford's stock 19lbs/hr is the way they're rated; I dont think the new ones flow any more. These worked great on gasoline, didn't notice it run any different and didn't affect gas mileage.

Now if we do the calculations:
Assume 25% more fuel required for E85.
So, 21*1.25=26.25
So I need 26lbs/hr fuel injectors for E85. Simple enough.

So I'm going the cheap route. I looked up Accel's replacement table, and they list their 26lbs/hr injectors as stock replacment for a 1992 - 1997 Ford 460 in a truck. So now I'm thinking a trip to the junkyard is in order.