View Single Post
Old 08-09-2006, 06:18 PM
MoJoWales
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2.3 DOHC BLOCK & SERVICE QUESTION

Hello, my name is MoJoWales and I'm a lurker. Would a mod please let me know where, or if in more than one, this post belongs.
I would like to ask a question, specifically of those who have dealer or service experience.
My daily driver is a 2002 ranger. Build day 3/02 with the 2.3 DOHC, five speed, xl, air, power steering, plain-jane with the better vinyl seats. All stock. Text book maintenence, I run class 8 semis and service H-D equipment. No problems minus one factory rim that was dealer replaced for not holding air. At 65,000 miles the engine exhibited a coolant leak. Upon examination found block to have failed at unstressed extrusion located behind the water pump, aprox. 2.5 inches toward the enginge from the thermostat mounting surface, top side. Hole is aprox. one/eighth inch (big) in diameter. Upon dissasembly found block corrosion in the water passage surrounding the hole. Possible casting error but would be in addition to something else. Possible causes include: Long life anti-freeze going acidic and corroding alloys. Bad ground or electrical system (probably ignition) discharge causing some sort of flux at the site. Other?
Truck still had factory coolant as per concensus at dealer that 5 years is normal. I check the PH of the antifreeze at each oil change (5000 oil, then oil and filter ect...) and should have trusted my gut to swap it out as soon as waranty expired, flame away.
Asside from whether or not an engine should be expected to last X amount of miles, has anyone else had failure of a 2.3 DOHC block? Did you find the cause?
I've been offered a fifty-fifty split with Detroit and a powertrain waranty extension to 100,000 on this. I haven't yet finalized with my dealer and would like to know what, if any, experience the forum has to offer. Take the offer and run, hold out dealling with ford, get a lawyer (not likely), or anything that you have done or have knowledge about would be greatly appreciated.
I WILL know the reason for this failure before the fix is complete. My brothers and I have had fantastic results with the old 2.3 (1993, 1997, 1999) and have heard good things about the new DOHC... until this.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Some answers to questions that I would ask: No computer codes, except low coolant, before or after failure as by Auto-xray scanner.
Engine never run while low on coolant. Leak noticed imediately and shut off. Approximately two gallons then ran out of engine, with about two more in the radiator. Never got hot reading on gauge.
Completely stock.
Original battery with no electrical issues, charges and starts fine with a 13.5-13.9 volt charging, 12.3 resting, and 2 volt average starter pull.
I am getting a lab work-up on the coolant and have offered to supply ford some if the origional coolant to do the same.