Thread: Butanol
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2006, 11:52 AM
PSKSAM2
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aurgathor
Are those vehicles only flex fuel capable, or optimized for E85? I think it's the former, and they push them because they get 1.2 mpg credit for flex fuel capable vehicles.
You're right, hadn't thought ot the CAFE credit. It tough to give a credit for butanol, though, since it seems that it can be run in an unmodified vehicle. I don't think anyone wants to see car companies get a credit for doing absolutely nothing to improve mileage, alternative fuel adoption, or emissions. I'm wondering if there is any incentive that would move car companies to say "butanol doesn't void the warranty" (similar to what they've said for biodiesel for newer diesels, or E85 for FFV's).

In this report it was even noted, "The auto manufacturers stated that the CAFE incentive program has been a major factor in developing and manufacturing alternative fuel vehicles in high volumes".
NHTSA - REPORT TO CONGRESS Effects of the Alternative Motor Fuels Act, CAFE Incentives Policy, Summary of Findings and Recommendations
It is interesting that one of the recommedations was to link the CAFE credit to the amount of alternative fuel that is used. Sure, it's great that the car companies produced and sold the FFV cars, but is anyone using the alternative fuel? Very similar issue with butanol since it is a claimed direct replacement for gasoline. Maybe there should be a CAFE like program on the oil companies to sell a certain amount of alternative fuels? Just a thought, I'm not in favor of more laws generally, and of course it'd probably get quashed by a lobby.

Originally Posted by aurgathor
However, a fuel that could be a direct replacement for gasoline even in older vehicles, would be a lot more desirable. Even though early adopters such as Brasil are heavily invested in ethanol, my bet is that ethanol could fade away in the US and replaced by something else that is more compatible with gasoline. Heavier alcohols such as butanol, propanol (a sibling of rubbing alcohol) or pentanol are possible candidates, as long as they can be made cheaply by fermenting. We already know that's the case for butanol.
I absolutely agree, and felt that needed to be quoted.

-Jim

Last edited by PSKSAM2; 08-03-2006 at 11:59 AM.