View Single Post
Old 07-19-2006, 08:15 AM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I say, "My Man Mitch!"

I'm all for the Major Moves deal. In a sense, it's privatization. $3.85 billion, when you include the time-value of money is probably a whole heck of a lot more than the state would have made off that toll road in 75 years. But, it's not just about potential interest on that chunk of money. It's about being able to INVEST that money in the state NOW. It has wiped out a budget shortfall, infusing money into much-needed road construction projects (which means, in many cases, more jobs for Hoosiers in construction), and long-term, it's a boost to the infrastructure that enhances commerce. More commerce means more tax revenue without raising the tax rates.

I think toll roads aren't a bad idea overall--especially when they reduce other taxes, as toll roads are in essence a "user pays" concept. My kids don't go to public school (homeschooled), but I'm still paying those taxes! I'd love to see more of a "user pays" system there! I also think that vehicle registration/licensing fees should be more in line with the damage a given vehicle does to roadways. A tractor-trailer does a lot, a motorcycle, virtually none, but the fees are still based in part on the age of the vehicle.

Just watch the next few years--you'll see the Indiana economy doing quite well and the indicators will all point back to Major Moves.

Ok, I'm done rambling.

Jason