View Single Post
Old 07-04-2006, 11:17 PM
johnnydmetal
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Umm by tin I meant - Tin not steel with zinc
Real tin is soft like lead and it melts around 475 deg when pure. To make it more rigid and raise the melting point you add antimony. Tin is very bright almost white and can be used as a plating medium like chrome and nickel. Pure tin coils are used in refrigeration units for food stuffs like meat, ice cream, and beer. Food Lockers are an excellent source for tin in the scrap yard. I Understand the difference between ethanol (cellulose or grain based) and methanol (wood or petroleum gas extracted). I am overhauling a 68 f 100 with dual tanks and since E85 is not available in NJ right now I'm setting up for gasoline right now. I am how ever considering the conversion to e85. My truck started life with one tank in the cab and a side one under the bed. I am going to be removing the cab tank and installing a side tank on the passenger side, plumbing it from the original fill on the drivers side of the cab. Since I am going to have to fabricate the tank to fit I am looking at different materials while I work with SS for exhaust, intercoolers, and induction setups I still say SS is not an easy repair off the beaten path. Copper however is an easy repair and I was wondering if it might be doable, The plastic failure on the copper coils is interesting since polymers and plastics seem to be the container of choice for alcohol. in my case since its a custom tank I would need to know exactly what plastics I could use. I could weld up a PVC tank fairly easy from sheet stock and epoxy would patch that too, but metal is what I'm most comfortable welding. I am curious what particular plastic you could use that won't devolve using either fuel type?
John

Last edited by johnnydmetal; 07-04-2006 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Spelling