View Single Post
Old 06-28-2006, 01:01 AM
infoguy
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well...went out this evening and had a go at it again.After bringing the number one cylinder to what I am positive is TDC and firing at the correct stroke, I looked over to number four and the exaust valve rocker arm was down...right where I thought it should be.So I know now one hundred percent my cam is right where it should be...however, the distributor was pointing at number five! exactly 180 degrees out. definately part of the bigger picture for sure. So I loosened the hold down bolt pulled it up just enough not to lose the oil pump rod and meshed it back down again so it lines right up with number one on the cap and with the wire to the spark plug. Then I lined up the reluctor and tightened everything down. That should fire up right quick after I turn the key and then I can finess my timing with the gun.
Next, All I had to do was turn the crank 360 to the mark again on the damper and in line with the pointer and bingo...its at firing position at number four..the next cylinder in the order. Thanks canadian ice...I have seen the light!! now I'm just setting my lash for both valves at once for each cylinder in the order as I go along. I decided to do the racer guy thing though and I'm doing it by making sure that the push rods can just roll in my fingers.I loosen them off til I know the valves are 100 percent closed and tighten back down till everything just touchesthen teweak a little more until I can't roll the push rod in my fingers then back out ever so little till I can and stop there.I hear if you go tighter you get more top end power and vice versa. I'm pretty sure thats true because when I fired it up the first time when everything was all looose and out of whack...it burned rubber up the driveway...it lit them up pretty good. Very respectable for a little 2.8 Just the same I would rather have the feul economy at the top end and go tighter.I had to give up for now because its dark, but I'm definately on the right track. Thanks Kernel Panic, you're both right.

Last edited by infoguy; 06-28-2006 at 01:07 AM.