View Single Post
Old 06-25-2006, 06:57 AM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In America, if a person doesn't like the existing laws or wants a new one we have a method to bring about change. They either contact and lobby the legislators of the state in which they reside or, if you live in an initiative state like I do, collect sufficient signatures of registered voters supporting a new law or a change to an existing one and by law it must land on the ballot. The voters of the state decide the fate of the matter. So on that note, if you think that the current laws in the state of NY are unjust you have every right as a citizen to try to bring about change. You won't win on this one, trust me, but you have every right to try to bring about change using the system.

I too am puzzled as to how you still have a license. I'm more puzzled that you have insurance (assumed to have). I also think I know how this is being overridden. Legally, a person cannot own a motor vehicle unless they are 18 YO. Thus, the legal owner of your car is responsible for your actions. Should you be at fault in an accident that injures/cripples/killes someone(s), the legal owner of that car will probably get sued. This is very true if you're breaking the law and they will, in court, look at those 18 tickets. It's gonna bite you and the legal owner of that car in an ugly way. If that vehicle owner has anything worth taking (house, vacation home/condo, retirement savings, boat, nice motor home, etc etc) it's all on the line. That owner could be ruined for the rest of their life, as will be you, loosing everything they worked their whole life for, right up until the day they die. They also go for future earnings/income/paychecks. And it really does happen. All this on top of your having to live with the injury/crippling/death of someone else for the rest of your life.

Real world, real life, it does happen, and it all begins with one slip that unwinds very fast. There ain't no going back after that couple of seconds of hell either. Just something to think about.