View Single Post
Old 06-20-2006, 05:10 AM
leskwvo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
20,000 mile update on my 05 PSD

Since I’ve installed the Plant Drive 6.0 PSD kit here are my results after 20,000 WVO miles.

I’ve gone through 3 of the Secondary filters that are part of the stock fuel system. I’ve gone through 5 Vormax filters. Although these are lasting me far longer now then they were in the early days of my conversion. I guess I prep my oil better now since I can get well over 6,000 miles out of the filters now. I currently use Baldwin BF1212 filters in the summer.

I’ve gone through 2 A1000 fuel pumps. One, about a month after I converted. It died trying to suck oil through a plugged filter. I moved my Vormax vacuum gage into the truck and I don’t have that issue any more. The last one went out suddenly as I was driving home about 4,000 miles ago. I’m going to try the Mallory pump next time this happens. I suspect it will happen again.

The truck it’s self has always thrown the CEL after about 300 miles. The code it throws is PO460 Fuel Level Sensor Circuit. That is because the fuel level does not go down as expected as the miles on the odometer go up. Annoying but easy to deal with, with the ODB II reader/clearer I have.

More recently I’ve started to get EGR related codes PO404 and PO1335. I can clear these and they come back after about 500 miles. I’ll ask the dealer about them at my next service. Not sure if this is WVO related or just one of the many issue with the 6.0 that is starting to make themselves apparent. I read lots of post about trucks that run nothing but #2 and they get these same codes. So for now I’m not too worried.

Over all I’ve been able to get twice as much mileage out of each tank of diesel then I did when I first started. I get any were from 1300-1600 miles between fillups. I commute to and from work 62 miles round trip. A few long weekend trips never tow or haul anything near the trucks capacity. The details of my fuel usage are on my web site.

The Plant Drive kit it’s self has worked great. All of the components supplied with the kit are still functioning the same way they were on day one.

Last edited by leskwvo; 06-20-2006 at 05:18 AM.