View Single Post
Old 06-09-2006, 05:00 AM
Hellbore
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why not run a wider spark plug gap?

OK, so I installed a Mallory Hyfire 6A ignition box, new wiring, new Ford Duraspark dizzy, a Mallory Promaster 29440 coil, and MSD spiral wound 8mm spark plug wires.

I am running a stock 360 FE engine so this is totally overkill, I know...

What I'm wondering is, why not open up the spark plug gaps...a lot? I think they are at .40 or so right now. Why not open them up, I am sure this "racing" ignition I put on can handle it. Why did I put on a racing type of ignition, you ask? For fun mostly, and I guess I thought it would help mileage or emissions or something. Plus, my original ignition system was really screwed up - I had a bad Duraspark module, a bad stator and reluctor on my dizzy, and the P.O. had a wire fire that melted some of the ignition related wires so it was nice to re-wire it all. I also like having the Mallory coil mounted on the sheet metal instead of on the engine.

Anyways, enlighten me, I am pretty ignorant when it comes to spark plugs, if I run a bigger gap wouldn't that get me smoother idle, better emissions, better combustion in general? Is there a downside to running a bigger gap? I always heard the downside was your ignition might misfire, but I really don't think that will happen, I have a pretty nice ignition setup here.

Also I don't care if the plugs wear out faster, they are cheapo plugs from Autozone, they are definitely expendable.