View Single Post
Old 05-24-2006, 12:52 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by adambomb
im trying to make my first small batch of Bio-D using the Dr. Pepper Method. I missioned around all day yeasterday trying to find supplies. I found the HEET Gas-Line Anti Freeze to use as the METHANOL. I can't seem to find any NaOH. I was looking for anything that said lye, or caustic soda. I even found Red Devil Lye that said on the bottle "does not contain lye". Does anybody know of another brand product I can use. I have heard of using KOH instead, what products have KOH and how much more of that do I need to mix. Also I live in Orange County, so please any home brewers from the OC chime in on where you get you supplies.

Also-what types of WVO are the best and what ones should I stay away from.

THANKS IN ADVANCE
Adam

Welcome to FTE Adam Red Devil Lye is exactly what you want for your test batches. When you are ready to make larger batches I would use KOH only. It works soooo much better! Look for chemical suppliers in the "yellow-pages" where you live. What you want is Potassium Hydroxide 95% or better, Its a little more expensive but well worth it. Have a look at the posts in this forum for lots of good info. I use all forms of oil and have not had any problems. Welcome to the Wonderful World of Biodiesel

FABMANDELUX.