View Single Post
Old 05-01-2006, 08:37 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by ol gray mare
the reason why i havent replaced the ignition module, or the coil, or the distributor is because i have been told that it would just completly shut down. which has only happened once and then i thought that it was just out of gas and i didnt want to drain all the gas out of the carb so i just shut it down. after i replaced the fuel line and the filter it has only done it twice within about 2 weeks and that has just been starting out from a stop sign and tring to get up to speed. I can tell when it is going to happen because my truck starts to lose alot of power and it starts to shake (more than it normaly does LOL). im taking it in to a mechanic to have him take a look at it and to check all the inginton module, coil and distributor. but sence the fuel line and filter have been replaced it been running almost fine.
You can take the ignition module to a parts store and have it tested. The ignition module can go bad, and the truck will still run.

The most comon problem for Ford ignition modules is that they have a intermitant fault when they get hot. In other words they run and work fine until the module heats up, then intermitent faults develop.

Don't let the old misnomer fool you. Your truck can run on a defective ignition module, but it wont run for much longer, and it will keep getting worse until it quits for good.

Holes in fuel hoses, can cause a "vapor lock like" condition, sucking air etc. A plugged fuel filter will block fuel, and act like it's running out.

Have you check all the things that we asked you to check before, Manifold heat riser, intake heat riser doors, etc..?

It only takes a few minutes, and if they are indeed not working, right, a can of WD-40 or other such penetrating oil most likely will get them working again.

Oh, by the way, do you have the anti stall dashpot attached, plugged in if applicable, and working? keeps vehicle from stalling on hot days.

Hope this helps.