View Single Post
Old 03-15-2002, 03:59 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Gibbon Torsion Bar Crossmember

My old suspension and the flathead are still in place, but my body is completely off, so I've been doing a lot of looking and calculating about how this thing is going to go in. According to the instruction sheet (or at least the one I got), the stock trans. crossmember can stay along with, I'm assuming, the master cylinder. They just recommend cutting it loose and bolting it in instead of leaving it riveted to make it easier to remove the trans. later if necessary without totally disassembling the suspension. From my observations, the torsion bars should clear the stock crossmember. I had anticipated cutting mine out to make more room for the automatic anyway. I had also figured on swapping in a different steering column and firewall-mounted booster and master cylinder. Hopefully anyone considering this swap will realize that there is no way that the old column will attach to the Chrysler box. I acquired a '77 Plymouth Fury for my donor car and am in the process of gutting out everything I need. I pulled the tilt column and booster/m. cyl./ pedal assembly out last night. I'll probably use those unless there is a major fitment problem. For anyone believing the contrary, this kit is NOT a weekend bolt in project. It will require just as much disassembly and re-engineering as a Volare installation, but without the associated cutting, hacking, welding, boxing, and measuring. Again, as soon as I get started, I'll try to get some pics up.