View Single Post
Old 04-15-2006, 10:02 PM
lesmore49
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dino is correct. Back in the 20's or 30's, a guy by the name of Pogue, who lived in Winnipeg, claimed he had developed a 100 or 200 mpg carb.

My father who passed away a few years ago, lived in Winnipeg at the time, I remember him telling me, there was a fair amount of controversy (in North America, maybe Britain) about it back in the Depression years.

Pogue mysteriously disappeared, I believe, and one of the rumours was that he had been paid off by the oil companies to kill the 200 mpg. carb. There were other rumours as well, apparently, but in the end, the Pogue carb kind of disappeared. Who knows what the truth is, or was, at this point in history.

I heard that he had demonstrated it , on a Ford or Chevy, at that time, but this could be wrong also.

It would be interesting to see if any books have been written on the subject. I used to routinely get, about 65 - 70 mpg on my Yamaha 500cc single cylinder, 4 stroke motorcycle, which weighs about 360 lbs.

I kind of wonder if you used this engine, but with fuel injection instead of a carb. in a small, light car, like maybe a larger Isetta or Messerschmidt, what kind of mileage you could get?

A Smart car gets pretty phenomenal mileage with it's small 800cc Turbo Diesel. Something in the high 60s / low 70s miles per gallon. No electric hybrid, just light weight, small engine does the trick.