View Single Post
Old 04-11-2006, 12:50 PM
kaulike
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WEIRD project: converting an F100

Hi gang

I own an 1968 F100 gas-guzzler with a 390. It has made an awful purty lawn ornament for the past several months due to an electrical/starter problem---it is essentially a work truck and not much else, and not even that right now. I can probably fix the electrical issue, but the truck has left me high&dry several times in the past 6 years. Even when it runs, it gets crappy mileage, and I feel guilty driving it. I have been wanting to get rid of it for a while.

However, as I learned from my 8-year-old when I tried to sell it recently, it is a part of the family, so I'd best put that *(&)(% pink slip back in the filing cabinet.

I live near Mendocino, CA and there are a few places to buy BD, and lots of folks out in the woods making it themselves for use in vehicles, tractors, and as heating oil. You can hardly swing a chicken in the grocery store parking lot without whacking into a bumper sticker that says "I run biodiesel!". I very much like that about this area, and I want to play tuba in that bandwagon, but the old Silly Goose.

So... since I evidently have the larger engine mount that can take up to a 427, it occurred to me that I might be able to swap in a diesel and run bio. I know the intelligent thing to do would be to dump this truck and buy one that already runs on diesel. However, as I mentioned, it is a member of the family and will not be parted with.

So does anyone know of anyone who knows anyone who has ever converted an older gas truck to use a diesel engine?

thanks