Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1952 F-2 stake bed

>Generally the market isn't as strong for the larger trucks
>as it is for the 1/2 tons at present, but seems to be
>growing. You probably won't recover your expenses, so if
>you plan to do this as an investment for resale, you might
>be better off doing a 1/2 ton.

I'd have to agree, Tim, about the larger truck market growing. Last time I checked, the "blue book" prices at various on-line sites showed the 53 through 56 series F-250 with a higher price than the F-100 for the same condition. Don't know about the earlier or later years.

There are definitely more parts out there for the F-100s although so far I've found that just about everything in front of the rear axle/drive shaft/rear springs is the same except for the running boards and emblems. If you look in the shop manual, a lot of the other items like the HD tranny, various tire and wheel sizes, and even the front spring options cross over between the two models.

I'd also agree that, if you really do a complete restoration, you probably won't recover your expenses - although you may come close. I'm about 1/3 through my 1956 F-250 and I've got $4,154.52 in the truck and $3,221.19 in tools. I figure I'll be doing well to get through with $12,000 in the truck. I might get that much if I ever sold it since it's really a complete restoration but I'd probably have to sell it in Florida where the trucks are expensive from what I've heard.

George