View Single Post
Old 04-05-2006, 06:34 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Originally Posted by derherr65
Kwikkordead: "I fried the brakes on my '95 F-250 with a 14,000 lb trailer. Instant warped rotors." Did you have a brake controller? If so, how was it set?
I foolishly tried to tow my current 14,000 lb Cedar Creek 5th wheel with a '95 F-250 front disc and rear drum brakes. It was equipped with a brand new Prodigy brake controller that I bought along with this trailer and it was set all the way up to the top. I traded in a 21' Terry Resort that the we pulled no problem with the '95. I should have limited my weight of my new trailer to 8500lb or so and then I would have been OK.
I was in heavy traffic going downhill and everyone stopped in front of me. Fortunatly I practice safe following distance and a little more for good measure. I pulled over on the shoulder at the bottom of the hill and the front wheels were smoking. At that point I knew that my truck and trailer as configured were a disaster waiting to happen. On the way home from that same vacation I found my current truck for sale at a KOA in Lodi, California. One month later I was driving it home. Now with my F-550 the brakes are twice as big, disc brakes on every wheel, and I have none of those issues any more.

Last edited by Kwikkordead; 04-05-2006 at 06:40 AM.