View Single Post
Old 03-04-2006, 10:12 AM
handyman43358
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bassproguy07
How do you become an electrician in high school???
Desire, dedication, and luck. My neighbor started a company about 4 years ago, and in August of 2004 when I was 16 I joined the crew. There was 4 of us at the time (including Jerry- my neighbor/owner.) We have went through 7 guys since then, who are in their mid 20's to late 30's. Now it is just Jerry and I, because we can't find anyone around here who is worth a damn. No one knows how to work anymore. They just want to complain about the heat in the summertime and the cold in the winter. Me on the other hand, is lucky to not have rung the sweat out of his shirt 4 times in a day in the summer.

From when I started until mid January before I turned 18 finally, I had learned everything I could legally learn (wasnt supposed to work with anything that was live). The day I turned 18, I was sent out on a service call to change out a 400 amp service at an old farm house. I had to climb the pole outside since it was an overhead service, and cut the wires loose up top. Scared me at first, but I knew I had to do it, or else I wouldnt advance any further from where I was at.

If theres anyone around who lives in Central Ohio who wants to become my helper this summer and be trained, let me know! As soon as I graduate high school I'll be in my own truck, ready to tackle the world! Anyone want to help me?