Old 03-02-2006, 02:07 AM
jamnjm
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Work on Wheels career fair Wanted: Race cars +

My ROP school supervisor has asked me to help Vital Link to locate some quality race cars or Motorsports business that might be willing to attend a Career fair "Work on Wheels" on March 22nd at the Orange County Fair Grounds in Costa Mesa.

Vital Link has told me that they already have 800+ High School students signed up for this career fair.

I'll be there with my race car, my Fiberglass Bug Body Go Kart (maybe with a few new additions.....[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img])and to promote my Composites & Plastics GGROP program too, but what about you?

Work On Wheels
Exploring Careers That Require Vehicles

Information Sheet
Overview:
There are numerous careers where a truck or car plays an integral role in that position. How will an EMT transport an injured person without an ambulance? How will a lineman fix power lines without a lift? Or how will a mechanic at a speedway help the driver without the racecar? These are just three careers that require trucks and cars. Work On Wheels is intended to highlight those positions that rely on their car, truck, or heavy equipment

The purpose of the event is to:

 Showcase between different careers that require the use of a car, truck or heavy equipment

 Expose high school students to a variety of potential careers in a unique and exciting environment.

 Provide students with workforce information about each career, which will allow them the opportunity to identify if this is a career path of interest.

 Inform students of the educational requirements for each of the careers.

Event Description:
The event will be held at the OC Fair Grounds and Exposition Center in a parking lot where the cars, trucks and equipment will act as the backdrop for each of the careers being featured. Students will have an opportunity to check out the vehicles while they meet an industry professional who will share the career opportunities in their industry. The presenters will provide students with job statistics, educational requirements, salary information and the skills needed to achieve success in their industry.

Potential industries include:
• Automotive (Trucks, Dealerships, Race Cars, Repair, Rental, After Market)
• Dealerships (Automobile, Motor Home, Motorcycle)
• Boats (Small Engine)
• Construction (Heavy Equipment/Grading, Cement)
• Distribution
• Public Safety (Fire, Ambulance, Police)
• Public Works (City, County)
• Transportation (Public, Shuttle, Taxi, Limo)
• Utility Companies (Gas, Electric, Cable, Telephone)
• Businesses that run their operation out of their vehicle (Mobile Dog Groomer, Medical Services)

Logistics
 The number of students that will attend the event will be determined by the site capacity. Our goal is to have a minimum of 800+ students.
 The event will be held on March 22, 2006
 Location: OC Fair Grounds and Exposition Center – Costa Mesa
 The event will run from 9:30 am to 1:30 pm.
 Each car, truck, or heavy equipment will have a display table with informational materials
 ROP and Community Colleges will have displays in the exhibit area

Request For Involvement:

BE AN EXHIBITOR
 Businesses from the identified industries are being requested to participate in this exciting event as presenters. Exhibit space will be available for targeted businesses. The exhibit will include a vehicle that students can explore to see how it is used on the job. Exhibits that show processes or provide hands-on activities are encouraged. Participating businesses can also provide handout materials covering technical information about the industry, industry trends, career information and job statistics.

Contact Kathy Johnson at Vital Link at 949-646-2520 to become a part of the Work On Wheels career event.