Thread: Homebrew
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2006, 07:14 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Chief90
Pardon my ignorance, but I'm pretty new to this stuff. If you don't wash, do you need to worry much about impurities or water, or is the mix precise enough (through titration, pH, or specific gravity) that it's not an issue. The reason I ask is I'm curious if I even need to get a wash/dry barrel, or if I can just make sure that I do a good mix, drain the glycerol, strain/filter the bio and go.

Another stupid question: If I do the hot water heater processor, how do I know when the reaction is complete. Is there a set time (12 or 24 hours) that it needs to set.

Thanks
My system is completly different than any you'll find on the net. I don't use a processor made from a hot water tank, that is called an "appleseed" processor. In an appleseed processor you cannot ''see" the reaction so you must let it settle till your sure it has reacted compleatly. Another problem with the appleseed is if you use NaOH [lye], the one used the most, it becomes a solid below 90f. If you leave the "mix" in the processor too long than how do you get it out? With my system I'm done mixing in 30min! I also use KOH "caustic soda", it stays liquid at least to 25f, so I never worry about not being able to pour it out. I let it settle out for 12 hrs, than pump the bio off the top. The biodiesel than goes to a main settling tank for 1 week. After 1 week it is filtered to 2 microns and goes to a 2nd settling tank for 3 weeks, after that period of settling it goes through a second 2 micron filter and is ready for use. If you get a complete reaction 95 percent of the methanol and Lye is locked into the glycerol. By letting it settle over time the small amount of methanol left in the bio evaporates off, and any Lye settles out on the bottom. I've had 2 batches tested and both met ASTM specs. Hope that answers your questions. FABMANDELUX.