Thread: Homebrew
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2006, 11:35 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Chief90
After just filling up my '04 F250 PSD for just under $90, I've made the decision to begin brewing my own biodiesel. I just have a few questions for you guys far more experienced than I. First, my reference states that ethanol is preferable to methanol because methanol can screw with any rubber fuel line components. Does my rig have any rubber fuel line components, or can I safely use methanol. Second, of all the reading that I've done on the topic, this is perfectly safe to run in my rig, but I wonder if I will have any problems with power, computer sensors, mileage (though at ~$.50/gallon who cares), filters, clogged injectors, etc.... It's my understanding that there is no difference in any of these issues between biodiesel and petroleum diesel, just wanted to make sure. $40K is a lot to spend on a truck, and I'd sure hate to have to put a new engine in it. Thanks for the help.
Welcome Chief 90, METHANOL is the preferred alcohol to use. Ethanol can be used but it must be 100 percent, and it is real hard to get that. The GOV does NOT like people making it without a license! FORD started using Viton lines in 1990 so fuel lines are not a problem on your truck. I've been making and using biodiesel for 2 years now with great results, more power,quieter engine, better milage.

You should start here: http://www.biodieselcommunity.org Then revue the posts on this forum and start asking questions. Welcome to The Wonderful World of Biodiesel ! And good luck ! FABMANDELUX.