Old 02-12-2006, 04:23 PM
wrenchmonkey
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Ranger 3.0 SCT impression + Flowmaster

Hello!
I don't see much about the MAXmircotuner for the Ranger. Well, I bought one and installed it this morning.
My truck has a manual transmission so I can't comment on transmission results. The Flowmaster is included in this forum so that all mods are described and relate to the SCT result.
This whole modification was planned ahead of time.

I have a Flowmaster 1 in 2 out exhaust that starts right in front of the middle cat. The exhaust exits in front of the passenger side back tire with 2 x 2.5" pipes.This mod provided a slight power increase. I observed the results by driving up a hill near my house. The hill is about 200 yards long and slopes somewhere around 20 degrees, pretty steep anyway. It has a somewhat tight left about middle way up
Before the Flowmaster, I had to downshift to 3rd to avoid bogging the engine. After the exhaust was installed, I was able to climb the same hill without lugging the engine too much, about 2300 rpm all the way up.
It cost $220.00 at a local shop to get the Flowmaster installed.

About the Superchips MAXmicrotuner. Set on "Performance".
There does indeed seem to be quite an improvement. The engine spins up faster than stock, judged by observing the tachometer on flat, straight road. Superchips recommends 87 octane fuel for the "Performance" tune on the 2004 3.0 liter engine.
The engine is a lot smoother than before. I firmly believe that smoothing out the powerband goes a long way to improving performance.

About the "reference" hill, it is a little better. I can still go up this hill in 4th gear, and now the truck accelerates while acending, building from 2300 rpm at the bottom and topping out at about 2600 at the top.
The acceleration is not awesome, just improved more than with just the Flowmaster.
Slowing down and accelerating several times and getting a "feel" for the tune reveals that the Ranger is faster.
I love 2 lane backroads on early Sunday morning, don't you?
Obviously, I have no data from a dyno or any other measuring tool except
a few decades of experience.
I would reckon that these mods did much more for torque than horsepower, which is really a good thing.

All comments are subjective. I don't claim to be an engineer.
So I can't say exactly how much power this programmer unlocked, but if you have $300.00 laying around, it is worth buying.