Old 01-31-2006, 09:14 AM
92merc
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only disadvantage to flex fuel is there are a "couple" more parts to break. I believe some units have an extra sensor in the fuel rail to "taste" the ethanol content.

E85 does make less HP. I forget the exact figures, but I saw a Crown Vic factory sticker that showed something like 400 mile highway range on regular gas, and 290 on E85. So what you need to ask is "is the juice worth the squeeze?" On the highway, that loss would be too big for me. Around town, no big deal.

Around here, E85 is getting a tax break from the state of ND. NO state taxes on it. So it's a lot cheaper. Like 1.69 vs 2.39. Basically trying to promote the ethanol industry since ND is a corn producer and has the ethanol plants.

I like the direction Ford is taking. It makes them look environmentally friendly, and it'll look good to help promote our own ethanol industry. I think when there are more cars out there that can use it, then more pumps will follow. It has to start some where, and I'm glad Ford decided to make the push. I'm sure the other car makers will follow soon.