View Single Post
Old 01-11-2006, 03:42 AM
allan1010
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found this, would it be a help?
http://www.americancarvideos.com/abay.htm

My suggestion as regards registering the car would be to speak with somebody at VOSA. I deal with them almost daily and it can be difficult to get them to be open with you, but if you get chatting to the right tester they're fine.
Things you'll DEFINITELY have to change to get the car on the road:
Headlights. American lowbeams dip straight down, whereas ours dip down-and-left. Side repeaters might be required in the fenders. Turn signals will have to be amber on the rear (but many american vehicles are like that now anyway); if your prospective one has red turn signals, you can modify the reversing (backup) lights as they aren't required to be working in the UK, and use amber bulbs. Rear fog lights will be required. A blanking plate will be required in the fuel filler neck (about 22mm iirc) so that an unleaded or diesel nozzle can't be inserted "by mistake" (don't ask. I didn't make it up!).
Oh, and I remember a friend having a problem with american bias-belted tyres at a normal, annual MOT test (not the SVA) so you might look into that if Ford still fit them.
If I were you. I'd go and look at a couple of F-series trucks for sale in the UK one day and take detailed photos for comparison.
Not by any means the full skinny on getting your car registered but I hope it helped.