View Single Post
Old 12-31-2005, 02:18 PM
dinosaurfan
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
still soakin'

Just thought I would tell y'all that the piston and it's rings and pin are still soaking. Doesn't look like much is happening, but that was what I expected. I have been doing a lot of reading however, and feel that the pistons and other engine parts won't really be any problem. But because there is always some moisture in the fuel ( and in the air ), carb and the fuel tank might be a bigger concern. Lots of carbs have aluminium bodies- like my holleys- and will probably need to be anodized or something. Some carbs have pot metal castings that I don't think will like ethanol at all. but I don't know if they can be painted or plated or what to protect them. And what about my TQ's polycarbonate body ? how will that hold up ? I really have no idea. I am also wondering what to do about my fuel tanks....they are aluminium tanks from a freightliner, 150 gallons each. As the fuel sits in the tank, it will try to absorb corrosion causing moisture from the air. The tank caps are vented, but if I closed the vents, the air couldn't get in. But then fuel wouldn't want to flow out either. I wonder if I should vent the tank like a more modern truck has ( I have a pair of '71s and a '79 ) and let the air flow in after it goes though a Zeolite fliter can ? The Zeolite would have to be dried out every so often, but if it kept the fuel anyhydrous, so what ? thoughts ?........DF, @ his Dad's house