View Single Post
Old 12-14-2005, 01:10 PM
smid87
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you run Biodiesel you can get it commercially and never have to do anything. This to me seems to be the best alternative. Make changes to your vehicle and you have extra stuff to fail. Methanol is so common that it is found in Heet brand Antigel for gasoline engines, and Lye is a drain cleaner. Not very dangerous, but needs special precautions when dealing with larger quantities. Anyone can build an appleseed processor out of an old waterheater (usually free) and this can usually be built for under $100.00 (see www.biodieselcommunity.org for appleseed plans). WVO has free water in it that can damage injectors, and this is removed through the proper reaction and washing/drying process.

I would say running SVO (very expensive) would be an ok alternative, but still requires a large output of cash in the beginning to convert the vehicle. The pricing is nowhere near the same as converting a vehicle costs thousands (unless you jerry rig it), where as around $300 dollars would put you into a nice Processor set-up. An additional $339 for a new water heater (80 gal price was from local HD) if you cannot find a used on for free. There is no comparison between the two. With Biodiesel you can run 100% all the time (except in cold weather at this time) in all vehicles without modification, whereas you still have to rely on Diesel or Biodiesel to run on while the Vegoil gets hot enough and you still have the cold weather issues (the colder the longer to heat, and if engine does not produce enough heat it might never make it to temp. I could go on for hours, but IMHO there is no comparison.