View Single Post
Old 11-20-2005, 08:37 AM
The SnoMan
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by boxcar1974
Keep the RPM's UNDER 2k and 60 or below on the highway. That is just about it. I put 400-500 miles per week on my Super Duty V10. This year I have estimated on the balance sheet of using about $6100 worth of gas this year. The kicker is I have just a few more months to pay for the truck befoer it is mine, and I spend $491.78/month which ='s $5901.36 hence cost more to operate it than to own it.

Just doesn't seem to add up at times.

P.S. conocophillips had 86% increase in the 3rd QTR
Keeping RPM below 2000 will not do it as when you lug a engine to0 far down below its power curve, it will use more fuel instead of less to make HP needed to move truck because it take the same HP to move it regardless of engine RPM. 30000 RPM is more realistic.Some tips are to run tires at of near maximum pressure. Also use stock sized tires with a smooth tread because big cleated tires can easily take a few MPG off of average. Also do not lift it as that adds drag and hurts MPG. Do not idle a lot, when you are going to be sitting for more than a minute or so, shut it off. In traffic try to plans stops and get out of throttle a bit sooner rather than staying in it until last minute. Frequent oil changes of 3k or less keeps oil clean and minimizes internal drag and use 75w90 in axles. THis are all minor things but they add all up. One more thin if you limit cruising speed to 65 or less that will help to as fuel usuage really climbs with speeds over 60 or so.