View Single Post
Old 11-12-2005, 07:16 PM
Richard4447
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Casey
There is no such thing as MERCON III. There is DEXRON III/MERCON, and that's what the 4R100 uses. DEXRON III and MERCON are just about identical, so one fluid meets both specs. Don't use MERCON V or any fluid that has both MERCON and MERCON V.
You are right, I messed up on the 'Dexron III' vs just 'Mercon III'. Just repeating what the parts department advised me.
oops

On the flip side with the PDF listed above, it clearly states,
"Use of a transmission fluid that indicates dual usage (MERCONŽ, MERCONŽ SP OR MERCONŽ V) in an automatic transmission application requiring MERCONŽ may cause transmission damage. Use of any fluid other then the recommended fluid may cause transmission damage."

Does this mean MERCON and DEXRON III designations as well since I guess it is a dual usage? I don't see anywhere in the PDF of any mention of Dexron III.

EDIT: I did a little research just now. I am not a mechanic which is why I did not know this but DEXRON III is a GM (chevrolet) specification whereas Mercon is the Ford spec. I couldn't find straight MERCON. I thought Dexron III/Mercon was a dual usage fluid for Ford. This is why I steered away due to the PDF listing of "Use of a transmission fluid that indicates dual usage (MERCONŽ, MERCONŽ SP OR MERCONŽ V) in an automatic ransmission application requiring MERCONŽ may cause transmission damage." where I read in this website elsewhere as well.

Last edited by Richard4447; 11-12-2005 at 07:41 PM.