View Single Post
Old 11-07-2005, 08:33 PM
jrowland
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winterized? I guess not :^(

Well, it's official... my 2003 7.3L didn't make it through the first cold snap. I just got back up here to Clear after a week away, and I went out to my truck and it wouldn't start up. It sat here for 1 week in temps ranging from -20 to -5, but it was "plugged in". It was too late at night to mess with it, so I took the batteries inside and warmed them over night, put them on the charger and made sure they had full juice (they didn't require any charging). Went out the next morning, and nothing... It'll turn and turn, but it won't fire up.

Before I left, I filled the tank with winterized fuel (15 miles from home, so maybe 1 gallon low), put in some "Power Services" supplement ("Prevents gelling, garunteed!" ), and plugged in the block heater. When I tried to start it, the temp was -5. It just did the standard... RRRrrrrRRRRRrrrrrRRRRrrrr, but that's it.

So... what went wrong? Should I assume that there is a clogged fuel filter due to gelled fuel? Is there a way that I can test my block heater to make sure it is even working? I tried tracing the wires, but lost it in the radiator area.

This is my first diesel, and my first winter outside of "balmy" Anchorage where "below zero" is newsworthy.

Oh yeah... the guy next to me in the parking lot is a 6.0L, and he sat for the same time period... his fired right up like it was +50F.

But, I guess the most important question here is... how do I get it started? And once I get started, how do I prevent it from happening again? I am working late tonight, but tomorrow's forecast is calling for +5, so I'll be able to get to it tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks for any help and advice....
Jimmy