Thread: Turbo Overboost
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2005, 09:05 PM
jackofalltrades
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure these turbos will get 30psi at idle... Even if it is malfunctioning.

PSD_6.0_FX4 might be able to confirm that. But, if it can, I'd figure there's other things that you would be experiencing. As in... INCREDIBLE throttle response at low RPM. And extremely terrible fuel economy.

I'd bet that there's a grove/rib/catch somewhere that's worn enough that allows the tubes to separate more easily.

So, from what I've read/learned, if the vanes in the turbo are sticking, then you could have an over boost condition. I'm sure there are several other electronic/computer controled reasons that could cause an over boost condition, but the only way you're going to know is to install some good gauges.

Nope, I won't disagree with you. These trucks should have come with better instrumentation so you'd know. But they don't. I added mine within a couple months of having the truck.

Has your truck been in for the CAC tube recall? What year is it? I hope your dealership gets it all squared away. I finally got bit by the EGR. Disconnected the thing a few weeks ago. All runs fine without. Still, I love this truck.

-Steve