View Single Post
Old 11-02-2005, 12:35 AM
Ringo Fonebone
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Generally, if an item is $49 US in the Carpenter catalogue, George will charge you $49 Canadian. Phone him and find out, although your results will be better by faxing him the correct DC part numbers. I imagine that yes, part of it is volume and being a Canadian dealer, but part of it is that George is not a greedy man. (We are not related, BTW LOL)

Tried by at least 3 people I know personally, with good results. But fax George for yourself and find out.

One more story about Sweetgrass/Coutts customs and then I am out for the evening. Last month my buddy and I made a flying trip to Denver to pick up a '63 Unibody that he bought on eBay. When we got to the border, we had to check in on the US side, at 9:00 pm at night, have them review the paperwork, actually go outside and inspect the truck, and approve the export of the vehicle from the US.

The process on the US side, where there were 4 visible employees working, took a total of 15 minutes including the physical vehicle inspection in the dark. The happy, friendly US Homeland Security people then bade us a fine good evening, and complemented my friend on his choice in vehicles.

Then, we had to stop in on the Canadian side and pay the GST. The (at least) 10 employees working there IGNORED US COMPLETELY for at 15-20 minutes, even though we were the ONLY CUSTOMERS.

Finally, after our long wait under so many watchful, yet useless eyes,( I was beginning to think they were paintings out of a cheap horror movie where only the eyes move) a guy sauntered casually out of the back, to grudgingly process our already approved paperwork, and charged my friend the GST on his vehicle.
Performed with an attitude like an 11 year old girl who was asked to leave her birthday party to do it.
What a fine bunch of exemplary Government employees they are.

RF

Last edited by Ringo Fonebone; 11-02-2005 at 01:28 AM.