View Single Post
Old 10-21-2005, 09:09 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Dino@his Dad's
Fab, the water is removed from fuel ethanol with zeaolite, in a molecular seive. so, there isn't any water in it at that point. But how much water it will pull out of the air is an unknown at this point. Since most fuel tanks are sealed these days, I didn't think that would be a problem. I have read about aluminium nozzles having pitting problems on the fuel pumps. It would seem the ethanol that gets splashed on the nozzles keeps them very clean, but atmosheric moisture then causes some corrosion. The nozzle makers have been nickel plating them and they seem okay so far. I have wondered if we might have to nickel plate any of the carb body or throttle blades or something for similar issues. As to water in the exhaust, I think it is hot enough when it exits there won't be an issue. But it is worth keeping an eye on. There are also acetaldehydes in the exhaust of an alky burner. Thats what makes the exhaust of TAD or TAF smell 'fruity'. Thats another thing to look at when one of us starts running this everyday. Rusty, how about I drop a complete 600 holley in the stuff and we'll watch that. I'll get some fuel line and a filter, and drop that in too. I was thinking a a couple of bearings as well, and maybe a connecting rod and a valve to go with. DF, @ his Work

Two points; #1 You are right about the zeolite finishing the ethanol to 100 percent. According to the study's I've seen, the issue is what happens in the transfer from the still to the end user. Everytime the product is moved frpm tank to tank there is an increase in moisture content.

#2 The issue with is not with moisture in the exhaust, but the formation of ACIDS during combustion, but this may be controlled by additives. So far the long-range test's have not been completed.........FABMANDELUX.