Thread: Bidiesel in PSD
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2005, 03:05 PM
LOOnatic
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by scole250
Anybody with a PSD still under warranty worried about repairs not being covered? First, I'll say that my 99 7.3 cost me less than $1,000 out of pocket over 6 years, so I do believe in their reliability (that's $1,000 worth of Ford Quality Care parts and labor ). But I now have an 05 6.0 and my local Ford dealer told me that if I ran more than the recommended blend of 5% Biodiesel the warranty would not cover any repairs that might possibly be related to running Biodiesel. That included injectors, EGR valve, fuel pump, cat, on and on. Now I wouldn't take my truck in for repair and announce I was running B100. Could they tell? Anyone had to deal with that yet?

I've read posts claiming B100 is great for a PSD. Those of you who say so, are you diesel techs and offering an informed opinion? Like others, I'm trying to sift through the many comments that contradict each other and figure out whether it's safe to run B100 and not risk paying big bucks for repairs.

Valid concerns but your not gonna get the holy grail permission from Ford.
Face it, the big automakers are slow to embrace bio except for Cat and some of the other heavy equipment makers who actually extend your warranty if you use B100.
B5 is barely bio. Its a good start but if your nervous just keep paying the high prices of fuel until your out of warranty.
To answer your question Ford does routinely take a fuel sample when a big ticket warranty repair comes in.
Although i'm not a certified tech i do beleive i have an informed opionion as a diesel nut and bio user.
And i did stay at a Holiday Inn last night
Alot of guys give advice on Bio and have never used it.
The key with Bio is quality contol.
I wouldn't put some sketchy pump fuel or bio in my tank no matter what.
Some small gas stations could have algae in their fuel.
I once was near the mexical border in cali and the gas stations inline filters were so clogged that the diesel would barely flow out of the nozzle.
I had prepaid for $20.
I went inside and the guy said oh okay ,try another pump.
I declined and got my $$ back.
You see my point?
Bad fuel is available at alot of places.

So for you i would only try Bio in small amounts, lets say B20 from a known vendor or from your own brewing. I took a workshop class on how to do it and testing your product along the process is the best way to not have bad fuel.

Remember one thing.
Biodiesel tends to scrub carbon buildup out of your fuel system so its widely known to change your fuel filters after 1 or 2 tanks of running bio to rid the carbon crap out of your filters.