View Single Post
Old 10-19-2005, 10:05 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Dino@his Dad's
Alright All, there is always at least some concern about corrosion when anyone wants to talk about about ethanol or E85 as a fuel. I don't think there will be any issue at all. But, in an attempt to silence to doubters who think this will be a problem, I have started my own albiet not exactly scientific test. I took an aluminum piston and its rings and have them soaking in about 2/3 of a gallon of E85. The cast piston is from a '67 390. I thought the aluminum would be the most suseptible to corrosion, so we'll test that first. If y'all can think of someting else I should dunk, let me know. The piston was measured at 709.7 grams, and 4.0504 inches. I'll soak it for at least a month and then pull and measure and weigh it. We'll also give it a good lookin' at to see if it has dissolved or pitted any. I fully expect nothing to happen, but we won't know until we try, right ? If'n I can figure out how, I will post a picture. Nothing like a good test to see what really is going to happen. DF, @ work ( sort of )
You should not see any differance; I'ts not the alcohol that's the problem, but the PRODUCTS of combustion that MAY cause corrosion. Long-term study's are not compleated yet.FABMANDELUX.