View Single Post
Old 10-15-2005, 11:02 AM
eee2001
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Creaking front end

My 99 ranger has 100K on it now. It had front end creaking for a long time... probably back to the milage you said was on yours. I went to get a couple new tires and alignment and they couldnt align it because the ball joints were destroyed. When I put my weight on the front fender, the creaking seemed to be coming from the spindles on the control arm. I lubed the heck out of those and it really didnt do any good because the creaking was coming from the ball joints. When I replaced them they were nothing but dust and not even close to round.

To check this, jack up your front end and push and pull on the top of the tire. Movement of more than 1/32" indicates a problem with the ball joints. Wheel bearings also cause this but to a lesser degree.

My truck was also steering funny. It was floppy... like it was misaligned but not in the same irection all the time.

I was unemployed at the time and the ball joint job was worthwhile with tools from the parts store since I had nothing better to do I needed a bench vise too since i couldnt get the top ones out or in without it. The top ones are easier to get out if you take out the control arm. I took it on a 2000 mi. trip after that and all was well.

good luck

Last edited by Ken00; 10-16-2005 at 05:59 PM.